Friday, June 21, 2013

Classroom Setup Ideas

I'm trying to settle on what I want to do for my classroom setup at the beginning of the year next year. That way I can possibly get it all put together before I have my sweet baby girl on July 2.

First, here is my calendar/information area that I've had in the past. I like it so I don't think I'll change it much. Our mascot is a bulldog so the paw print calendar really works. Our colors are red, black and white.
Beginning of 2012-2013 school year

I use this board to put up the menu, student calendar, weekly spelling words and any other important notes. I've had the same set up for three years now but I like it so I think I'll keep it. The little box on the left is what I use to collect box tops. The three drawer container is where I collect work. However, it was moved to my book shelf. For attendance, I put the students names on bones cut out of foam sheets and the first year I used them I put magnets on the back and put them on the board. Last year I forgot to buy magnet tape so I just  laid them on these desks. The students find their bone and put it in either the cafeteria or lunch from home basket.  


I might add this to the side of my board. I like the idea of putting the days work in the folders. I would clean them out every Monday after school I think. I got this idea from The Cutest Little House in Town. I also have a 5-pocket folder chart that I might use instead. One pocket would hold make-up work packets for those that have been absent. Another pocket would hold extra copies. Not sure what the other pockets would hold yet.
The Cutest Little House in Town

I also like the looks of this calendar area from Teaching My Friends! I especially like the quote, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". I might have to add that to my classroom somewhere. This also makes me want to add a plant or some type of decoration to my calendar area.
Teaching My Friends!

I think that is about all I can pack into my calendar area. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the final product.

This is taking more time than I thought so I'll only go into one more area and save more for tomorrow. I'll go with my "Welcome" decorations. My second year I had this. 

Kinda plain. Kinda boring.

Last year I think I did a little better and had this...
 
It was a Dr. Seuss theme with Dr. Seuss trim around the windows. I decided not to put it around the door like I had done previously because the door kept rubbing the trim and making a hideous noise and it also tore it up eventually. 

But I want to do even better than that this year. Initially I wanted to go with a Peanuts theme. I love Charlie Brown and Snoopy. However, after looking at classroom decor, I might go with something that is a little less theme-y. So I think I've narrowed it down to either this...
...with other Peanuts cut-outs or decor. Or something more general like one of these.
  Black Lotsa Dots Welcome Chart
They also have some coordinating decorations and I could just use the same colors throughout my classroom.
But I've got to have more than just a poster and a few cut-outs if I want to make my welcome more inviting. I liked this idea that I found over at Apartment Therapy. Now I wouldn't use an owl but I like the idea of stacking my last name, painting it a coordinating color to go with whatever theme I choose and putting it in front of my classroom.
51bbf3f5d9127e264b000751._s.fit_w.540_

I need to do some more thinking and searching so I can decide what I really want to do. I'll probably go look around some more on Pinterest!

Well, that's it for now. I'll work on other areas tomorrow. If you have any ideas or opinions please share them!



No comments:

Post a Comment