Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Marshmallow Challenge

I wanted to share with you something that I did on the first day of school last year and am excited to do on the first day of school this year. It is a great community building project and an entertaining way to break the ice and begin to get to know each other. During the last few days of school, I asked students to write down their favorite memories of 5th grade and this activity was on almost everyone's list...including mine. It is called The Marshmallow Challenge. You can find out more about it here: The Marshmallow Challenge
It does not cost much and with these few ingredients, students are quickly working together to win the challenge. They encourage each other and even cheer on the other teams. It is neat to see the different ways students approach the same problem. I enjoyed it. The students enjoyed it. It was a great success.

These are students from my 5th grade class.

No comments:

Post a Comment